Friday, January 27, 2012

Anywhere Anytime

Its 6 am on a Friday morning and I have been awake for two and a half hours already. You may be asking yourself why? Well its simple the alarm I set for 3.30am to watch the Murray vs Djokovic semi final of the Australian open woke me up. People will think I am crazy, I am not I am just an average sports fan.

This is not the first time I have set alarms for times during the middle of the night or stayed up late on a night before work to watch some type of sport. I am not a huge tennis fan but its a semi final and a great match up of the number 1 and 4 seeds so why wouldn't I want to watch it. I also did this many times during the rugby world cup to follow England's progress. I have a work colleague from Scotland who set alarms to watch every single game from that world cup. Bear in mind these games were on at, I believe, 1am and 4am every morning. I have to admit he wasn't looking to great at work after the second week of doing this.

Being a sports fan can be tough but it is well worth it. Maybe not always I have woke up at 7am to watch the early premier league game and it has been a 0-0 with maybe 1 shot on target and only a couple of highlights from 90mins of play but it is worth the risk as there would be nothing worse than missing it and it being a classic. I don't often get the chance to sleep in but that doesn't stop me from missing the chance to watch a sport event whether its a premier league game or any other match.

Sports fans don't only make themselves sleep deprived but also will find a way to watch 'the game' no matter where they are. I have been lucky enough to do so travelling across the globe in my fairly short life so far. But no matter what country I am in or the surroundings I have always found a way to keep up to dates on my sports.

I remember walking for miles on an island in Thailand to find a bar that was showing that unforgettable Wimbledon final between Federer and Nadal. But we found one and one with a great crowd. This is how I know I am not alone in my passion for sports. There were people gathered to watch this great match from all over the world from America to Sweden to Thai locals.

This love for sports is something that is built into me. I know that its not always the best idea to skip on a good nights sleep or step away from a family gathering to watch sports but I just can't stop myself. I know its not just me it is all the average sports fans out there.

1 comment:

  1. This one was definitly worth getting up early for even if I do struggle to keep my eyes open this friday afternoon at work. If only Murray could have completed the fightback at the end.

    ReplyDelete